Monday, May 23, 2005

A Very Shibori Day



What the heck is this lady doing, you ask?

This is Joy-Lily, a shibori artist who taught a guild workshop last friday. Here, she's demonstrating how to make a "nose" (and you were thinking of a different part of the body, weren't you?!) which will result in a circular pattern when dyed.

Here's Gerrie, concentrating on wrapping her silk. It's HARD, all that wrapping and twisting and tying.



See, Janet and Pat are wearing serious faces of concentration, too. I was glad to try this, but I'm not sure I'm gonna do much. For the effort, the scrunching is more my speed (fast) and my style (slapdash).



Still, the results are pretty and fun. These were from others in the class whose pieces dried pretty quickly.



And this is Pat, Janet, and Gerrie looking happy and pretending they made these.



I'll post my fabrics when I have them ironed. I did one silk piece, which is pretty but not colors whose final result surprised me, and a piece of cotton which took a lot of work to wrap but is interesting looking. All said, it was a fun day, but not a great class as classes go. If you're ever inclined to take a workshop from this woman, email me and I'll tell you more.

By the way, this picture cracks me up, because it's a picture of Gerrie taking a picture for HER blog. Taking a photo of a blogger in the pre-blog process amuses me no end!

4 comments :

  1. Oh, such flattering pictures!! This was the last day that I wore my red glasses. I miss them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun class. I love seeing pictures of what folks are doing.

    Now, as for your hard clay soil. We, too, have cement-like soil. All the amending in the world one season doesn't help the following season. Garden is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like a fun class! And the flower with the spiral petals is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now about that hard clay soil. Only one thing will improve it: the constant addition of compost. Get a bin or a roller, or when you end the season, dig a ditch and fill it. (the last is the best thing in the fall. You bury the compost and forget about it... in the spring it's ready.

    ReplyDelete